One injured in house fire Tuesday morning

ON SCENE–Red Bud Firemen are pictured on scene of the Oct. 9 house fire on Lost Acres Lane in rural Red Bud.

A Red Bud area man was injured in a garage fire on Tuesday morning.

The Red Bud Fire Department responded to a call of a house fire around 9:40 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 9 on Lost Acres Lane, off of MM Road in rural Red Bud.

Fire Chief Kevin Miller stated that Ron Hughes was in his garage/basement area filling a lawnmower with gas. Unfortunately, he was too close to the hot water heater and the gas fumes ignited, blowing up.

While he was unsure the extent of Hughes’ injuries, Miller did note that he was burned and is lucky to be alive. “It could have been worse.” Monroe County Ambulance transported Hughes to a hospital.

The fire damage was mostly contained to the garage/basement area. The lawnmower, along with one vehicle, were considered a total loss. Another car in the garage had minor damage. Miller noted that the rest of the home mostly just had smoke damage.