After a continuance was granted on Friday, Sept. 28, Kodi Lafore’s trial is now scheduled to take place eight days after the one year anniversary of Adam Sesto’s death.
Lafore, 23, currently faces charges of involuntary manslaughter and second degree murder, following a Jan. 6 incident in rural Red Bud where Sesto, 36, was fatally stabbed.
Lafore’s case was originally scheduled to go to trial on Oct. 22, but at an August hearing, a motion for Justin Kuehn to withdraw as Lafore’s defense attorney was approved. At a Sept. 5 hearing, Lafore told Judge Dennis Doyle that prominent St. Louis defense attorney Scott Rosenblum would be his new attorney.
A case management hearing had been scheduled for Sept. 28, but it appeared that the sole item to be addressed had been agreed upon by the attorneys and judge without formally going into the hearing.
Randolph County State’s Attorney Jeremy Walker told those who came to the courthouse for the hearing that Doyle had signed an order of continuance, setting a new trial date for Jan. 14, 2019, with jury selection to begin at 9 a.m. He expressed that this was a “firm date” and the trial date would not be moved again.
For more on this story, please see this week’s print edition.