County’s bicentennial monument unveiled

UNVEIL THE MONUMNET–Randolph County Commissioner David Holder, at left, and Randolph County Sheriff Shannon Wolff are pictured unveiling the bicentennial monument outside of the Randolph County Courthouse on Sunday.

Aug. 26 is Constitution Day in Illinois, as on that day in 1818, the state’s first constitution was signed in Randolph County at Kaskaskia, which was named as the state’s first capital.

This year, on Constitution Day, a special Illinois Bicentennial event was held on the grounds of the Randolph County Courthouse in Chester. The event featured the unveiling and dedication of the Liberty Bell of the West Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution’s bicentennial monument.

The event featured numerous speakers from both local and state DAR chapters, a musket drill by the Fort de Chartres French Marines, music by the Chester High School music department, a message from Governor Bruce Rauner (who was not in attendance) and a keynote speech by Randolph County Commissioner Marc Kiehna.

For more on the bicentennial monument, please see this week’s print edition.